Thursday, December 21, 2006

Dustin' off the Sticks

Ok, enough talk. Now it's time to get ready to surf. I dragged the boards out of the garage and hosed'em off. It's nice to have boards at home, but they're the boards I had when I was younger and lighter so it's going to take some adjusting to. The board on the left is a 6'0" Nev which I bought when I still lived in San Diego. It looks nice and clean in the photo, but it's dinged to hell. The board in the middle is a 6'8" roundpin thruster shaped by John Schultze of SF Surf Shop. It was the 1st board I got when I moved to SF from SD. It's also a little worse for the wear, but a great board. The board on the right is a vintage 70's ET Surfboards 7'8" single fin. It'd be a great big wave board but it's a bear to wrestle around and I can't duck dive it. I'll take it out to Pleasure Point, or any place with a nice open channel.


Here's a close up of John's old logo, now a classic. If you're ever out in the Sunset (and if you're surfing you already are) check out John's shop on Noriega street. He's been there since '92 or '93.
He's the nicest guy and he shapes great boards. SF Surf Shop is a cool funky little place with really friendly people. If you can't read it from the photo (I can't) the logo says: "Support Unemployed Nomads" (top) "Local 415 San Francisco"

Aside from getting your ass handed to you at the Beach, another reason (there are so many) to come out to the Sunset (and it's on Noriega too) is for a post-surf ice cream cone at Polly Ann Ice Cream Parlor, a Sunset Institution. Where else can you get an ice cream cone for your dog? And you gotta spin the wheel at least once! The link to Polly Ann's official website is here.

Someone told me that Polly Ann is no longer. Is this true? I hope not. I'll try to make it out there to see for myself and then I'll let you know.

No comments: